Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2011

Shyne AKA Moshe Levi: ‘I Don’t Even Want To Be A Rapper’


Back in 2006 Shyne converted to Judaism, and the Jerusalem resident now answers to the name Moshe Levi. In new interview with Time's Global Spin, the former Bad Boy signee says that he no longer wants to be a rapper, but admits that one of his current initiatives is a campaign that will allow him back into the United States for a college tour with his new music. Check out a few highlights from Moshe Levi’s interview.

On converting to Judaism: “An African in America who’s pretty famous in African-American culture, you would think would be drawn to Islam, or maybe Christianity, but I couldn’t convert to something I’m not. Islam just didn’t make sense to me. I come from the ultimate truth. European Jews are not the only Jews.”

On his new music: “I don’t even want to be a rapper. I don’t listen to that music. I’m a musician. I’d rather be like Bob Marley or Leonard Cohen, one of those guys,” he said, describing his new work as, “totally philosophical and sophisticated.” “No misogyny. None of that deranged stuff I used to be into.”

On his relationship with hip-hop: “The hip-hop culture is not a philanthropic culture. I’m not pointing the finger at them, all I’m saying is: I am a giver.”

On resisting Zionism, despite being Orthodox: “I definitely try not to get into the whole gang affiliation thing.“I don’t really have time to figure out their thing. I have my thing.” I just said I’m absolutely not into sects or gangs. I love all human beings.”

No comments:

Post a Comment