Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Monsey - Fatality after Hurricane Downs Live Wires

VIN News has confirmed that one victim has been pronounced dead, and the 5-year-old child is in critical condition.

Officials say the good Samaritan was electrocuted trying to help a child who had gone into a flooded street that had live wires embedded in it.

A spokesman for the Rockland County Emergency Operations Center says the child is in very serious condition at Westchester Medical Center’s burn unit.

Spokesman Ron Levine says the child’s father was treated for burns at another hospital and released.

Levine says the youngster got caught in wires obscured in a flooded Spring Valley street Sunday afternoon. The village is about 30 miles northwest of Manhattan.

He says the child had to be taken by land with a police escort to the hospital because helicopters were grounded. It took 20 minutes to get the child there.
Tragedy has struck the Monsey community, when a man was electrocuted by live wires from the hurricane.

According to initial reports, Hatzolah was dispatched to Merrick and Union for live wires which fell down from the strong winds – and struck a child. An adult (possibly his father) attempted to get him out safely, and was electrocuted as well.

Hatzolah paramedics transported the victims to Westchester Medical Center. One victim has R”L been pronounced dead. The child is reportedly in critical condition. Please be Mispallel for Reuven Dovid ben Chava Leah.

A man was killed today as he tried to help when a downed electrical wire in Spring Valley severely burned a man and his 5-year-old son, authorities said.

In the most serious incident likely linked to Hurricane Irene, now a tropical storm, the wire apparently came down on the child who was touching a metal fence on Union Road and Merrick Drive.

Emergency personnel were transporting the boy to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla. His father was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern with burns.

אסון במונסי • קו מתח גבוה קרס - אברך נהרג וילד נפצע אנושות

קורבנות ההוריקן • כבל מתח גבוה קרס על הילד ראובן הרבסט, במונסי • אברך שניסה לחלץ את הילד התחשמל למוות • לאחר שאספקת החשמל לאזור הופסקה - חולץ הילד ופונה לבית החולים • בני המשפחה: "מצבו אנוש - אנא התפללו עבור ראובן דוד בן חווה לאה לרפו"ש"

אברך נהרג וילד נפצע קשה היום (א) ב'ספרינג וואלי' שבמונסי מכבל מתח גבוה שקרס, כך על פי דיווח של אנשי הצלה מקומיים.

את אנחת הרווחה שנשמעה בניו-יורק אחרי שסכנת הסופה חלפה - היה אפשר לשמוע מחוף לחוף. אבל מתברר שהשמחה הייתה מוקדמת מידי

לא מעט מבני מדינת ניו -יורק שחשו שהסערה חלפה החלו לצאת מבתיהם, אך התברר שאף שהסופה חלפה הסכנה נותרה בעינה. וזה בדיוק מה שקרה לבני משפחת הערבסט, משפחה חרדית המתגוררת באזור 'ספרינג וואלי'.

אחד מילדי בני המשפחה, יצא אל הרחוב והסתבך בכבל מתח גבוה שקרס. הילד התחשמל ואברך, עובר אורח, יעקב רוזנברג שחש להציל אותו, התחשמל למוות.

למקום הוזעקו צוותי הצלה, וצוות כיבוי אש. אך רק לאחר שאספקת החשמל לאזור הופסקה כליל הצליחו צוותי ההצלה לחלץ את הילד מהמקום.

הוא הובהל למרכז הרפואי ווצסטר, במצב קשה. בני המשפחה המצויים בבית החולים מדווחים כי מצב הילד קריטי ומבקשים להתפלל עבורו. נא התפללו עבור הילד ראובן דוד בן חווה לאה לרפו"ש.


  1. A name has been added. Please daven for CHAIM Reuven Dovid ben Chava Leah. The father was burned trying to save his son, but was treated and released. The niftar was a neighbor, R' Moshe Yosef Reichenberg, A"H, the father of 4, who died trying to save the boy. Levaya at Ohr Somayach Monsey at 5:30 PM today.

  2. I live in Monsey and know enough to stay indoors. Warnings were issued for a reason. BDE and my son's cheder never cancelled but did cancel today. Which cheder is opening?

  3. if any of you are saying are would like to say tehillim for the boy a name was added his name now is chaim reuvan dovid ben chava leah