Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

BROOKLYN: Images of a chilling execution




A disturbing surveillance video captures life and death in all its grainy, gruesome reality in just two minutes and 12 seconds on a Brooklyn street.

The video opens with an unsuspecting Trevonne Winn, 24, chatting on his cellphone outside a chicken joint on Nostrand Avenue in Flatbush around 7:40 p.m. Saturday -- just moments before his killer casually steps out from the shadows and guns him down.


Sparks flash from the gun as two bullets strike Winn point-blank in the chest. Mortally wounded, he drops to the ground, struggles to move, then collapses as the hit man flees.

A crowd gathers around the dying man, but no one kneels to help or comfort him. He later died at Kings County Hospital.

"What kind of city is this? No one helped my child. Someone could have helped him and turned him over on his side to help him breathe," said Winn's outraged mom, Tracey, 40, a nurse from South Carolina.

"It's a nightmare I will never recover from.

"He wasn't in a gang. He didn't know anyone here. I saw that video. When I saw the video, I walked out of the room. That will be forever engraved in my memory. I saw my child fall on the floor, and nobody tried to help him."

A disgusted police source who saw the tape agreed.

"Between the time the shooting happened and the police arrived, people were just looking," the source said.

"Someone even took a cellphone picture."

A second surveillance tape, made before the shooting, shows the killer inside the restaurant fumbling with an object -- possibly the murder weapon -- in his waistband before placing it in a jacket pocket.

Winn, an expectant dad who has a 1-year-old daughter, may have mistaken for someone else, his mother believes. She said she'd been told a person overheard the killer saying, "I f- - ked up. I shot the wrong guy."

She believes the real target was a relative who had gotten into a fight the previous night.

Winn had a rap sheet for everything from assault to weapons possession to having contraband in prison, and moved from Rock Hill, SC, to start a new life, his mom said.

Winn's grieving girlfriend, Andreaka Broom, 20, who lives in Atlanta, told The Post in a phone interview that her boyfriend wanted to change but could have run into trouble here.

"I don't think this was a case of mistaken identity. I saw the video. The killer got a chance to look at him and analyze his face. In my heart of hearts, I know it's not mistaken identity," Broom said.

"He wanted to turn his life around. He hawked comedy-club invites and wanted to pursue a music career in hip-hop. That was his passion. So I don't really think he was up there long enough to be in a gang.

No comments:

Post a Comment