Wednesday, October 12, 2011
FBI makes arrest in celebrity phone-hacking case
The FBI has made an arrest in its investigation of celebrity phone-hacking in Hollywood. The break comes several weeks after reports that the cellphone accounts of Scarlett Johansson and other stars had been breached.
The FBI did not name the victims in the investigation, dubbed Operation Hackerazzi. Officials scheduled a news conference later Wednesday morning to release additional information.
The investigation into allegations of phone hacking of multiple Hollywood celebrities dates back a year and began well before news reports about Johansson and other celebrities having their data breached, according to law enforcement sources.
The federal probe actually began in late 2010 after allegations of people hacking into the phones and computers of several Hollywood figures first surfaced, the sources said.
In recent weeks, there have been reports of young celebrities being victimized by hackers who obtained compromising photos, including pictures of Johansson.
People claiming to be a hacking group have said they are responsible, though the claim could not be verified.