Monday, October 10, 2011
Fallsburg, NY - Mattresses Ignite Nitra Camp Blaze
Fallsburg, NY - Embers from burning mattresses were the cause of a large fire at a summer camp Sunday that took an hour and a half to put out, officials said.
Fallsburg police said the fire occurred when a caretaker at Camp Nitra set 10 mattresses on fire about 10 feet from the building.
Police say embers from the mattresses traveled in the wind up to the third floor and set fire to the facility’s roof.
John Wallace, Woodbourne fire chief, said it took at least 50 to 60 firefighters to contain the fire at 139 Budd Road on Sunday afternoon.
Previously the Southwinds Hotel, the camp sits on about 15 acres of land.