Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

NYPD Top official Express Confidence in Menachem Stark Case

One week to the day after the violent abduction and subsequent murder of Menachem Stark, NYPD officials are expressing optimism about the progress of the case.

According to a Newsday, NYPD Chief Philip Banks told reporters this evening, that police are investigating new leads, some of which were generated by the $72,000 reward being offered.

 “This is a homicide investigation and, of course, it is very sensitive,” said Banks at a news briefing. “But I will tell you we feel relatively more confident about this investigation than we did a few days ago.  

We are investigated some leads, some leads are coming in…so the case is progressing.”

Police Commissioner Bill Bratton told reporters that police have spent days gathering surveillance tapes in the hopes that they will yield further clues.

Ironically, while the Great Neck Getty station where Stark’s body was found has no surveillance cameras, two buildings nearby have street facing video cameras:  both are yeshivas.  

Neither the Long Island Hebrew Academy nor the Silverstein Hebrew Academy, both located on Cutter Mill Road just yards from the Getty station where Stark’s body was dumped, responded positively to requests for comment.

Banks’ remarks come just one day after the release of a surveillance video showing a man in a ski cap, mask, jacket and jeans walking in front of Stark’s office approximately six hours before Stark’s abduction.

An unnamed legal source has noted that at least one of Stark’s business partners was asked to view the video and sources say that the van which was used in the kidnapping had been seen in the vicinity of Stark’s office for a minimum of two weeks prior to his abduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment