Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

'I'm sorry': Rare apology from Glenn Beck for comparing Reform Rabbis to radical Islam


For one of the most outspoken voices in American broadcasting, it was a rare act of contrition.

But yesterday controversial talk show host Glenn Beck apologised for comments he made comparing Reform Judaism to radical Islam.

The outspoken presenter made the original comments on Tuesday in a radio debate with billionaire George Soros.

Beck tweeted his apology yesterday, saying 'I was wrong on this, I also apologise for it...I've always told you to do your own homework and in this case I didn't do enough homework.'

The comments came after a heated debate between long time enemies Mr Beck and philanthropist Mr Soros.

The comments drew immediate condemnation from several quarters.

Anti-Defamation League spokesman Abraham Foxman said: 'Glenn Beck's comparison of Reform Judaism to radical Islam demonstrates his bigoted ignorance.

'Despite his feeble attempt to suggest that he was not equating Reform Judaism with Islamic extremist terrorism, the simple fact that he would mention them in the same breath is highly offensive and outrageous.'

Beck later sent a letter of apology to the ADL, saying he was sorry for the comments.

'I was admittedly misinformed on Reform Rabbis and made a horrible analogy that I immediately attempted to clarify--quite honestly, I blew it on this one.

'When I believe I'm right, I am always willing to defend my ground. But, when I make a mistake, I hope you understand that I am willing to say so.'

It is not the first time Mr Beck has retracted comments made on air.

Last year he had to apologise for impersonating Barack Obama's 11-year-old daughter Malia on air, after previously saying the media should, 'leave families alone'.

1 comment:

  1. glen scewed up this reform rabbi you are a true freind with israel continue your job we love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete