Search This Blog

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Jerusalem: Woman, 19, stabbed on Light Rail


Suspected terror attack: Woman sustains moderate wounds after being stabbed in her chest, hand as train pulled into station. Assailant flees scene, apparently to Shufat

A 19-year-old woman was stabbed in her chest and hand on Jerusalem's Light Rail on Thursday. She was treated at the scene by United Hatzalah medics and taken to the Shaare Zedek Medical Center in moderate condition.

An initial police investigation suggests that the woman was stabbed by a man who escaped the scene, apparently towards Shufat. Police forces are canvassing the area.

The probe indicated that the assailant waited for the train to stop and then stabbed the woman and immidiately fled the scene. Light Rail traffic in northern Jerusalem has been suspended.

An eye witness said: "I was sitting on the train, there were no screams or anything to indicate something had happened. When I looked back I suddenly saw people crowding around and as I approached I saw the young woman bleeding. She mumbled, 'why did this happen to me' and 'why do I deserve this'.

A United Hatzalah medic, Dvir Adani, described the scene: "As I arrived I saw a young woman with stab wounds to her chest. She had a low pulse, as she lost a lot of blood. We treated her until she was taken to hospital.

The first attempt at a terror attack on the Light Rail occurred six months ago as stones were hurled at the train in Shufat. A window was shattered but no passenger were injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment