Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Julio Acevedo, Hit-run driver who allegedly killed parents, unborn child wants to turn self in


The hit-and-run driver who allegedly killed an Orthodox Jewish couple and their unborn child claims he wants to turn himself in — but is too afraid to surrender right now, according to a broadcast report.

A WABC-TV reporter spoke to Julio Acevedo, 44, in a phone call arranged by a friend of the suspect’s, according to the station’s Web site.

The man said he didn’t know Nachman and Raizy Glauber, both 21, were dead until he saw it on TV news.

“I am going to turn myself in," Acevedo said. "My heart goes out to those. I left the scene and when I did leave the scene I didn’t know anyone died.

“My heart goes out to all of those people that’s feeling like I am so much of a bad guy," Acevedo said. "And I am truly not. I did not know that occurred until I seen the news. I said I have to get my attorney ready.”

The friend who arranged the call, Derrick Hamilton, said Acevedo was running for his life after the crash, and called it a terrible accident. "He's meeting with a lawyer right now, they are going to arrange how to turn himself in," Hamilton told The Associated Press.

Acevedo said he was afraid and had been involved in a shooting incident earlier that night.

“I was scared, I was scared," Acevedo said. ”I had just been previously shot at minutes ago. I was speeding trying to get away because I was scared from someone shooting at me. So when I came down Kent Avenue as I was driving, that cab driver came out of nowhere. I couldn’t stop.”

Nachman and Raizy Glauber were headed to the hospital early Sunday morning because the seven-months-pregnant woman hadn’t been feeling well.

That’s when Acevedo, driving a 2010 BMW, allegedly broadsided the livery cab, police said.

The Williamsburg couple was pronounced dead a short time later and their baby was delivered by Caesarean section.

Their baby boy lived for a day before passing away early Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment