Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Towing Companies Targeting Drivers



Watching as his car was nearly towed from a lot in New Jersey only one minute after he parked, prompted Fox 5 News reporter John Huddy to investigate the towing company.

What he discovered were some shady business practices and predatory behavior.

The experience was not limited to Huddy. As Fox 5 News witnessed at the Metro Plaza lot in Jersey City, a man sitting inside a car watched people park their vehicles and then appeared to make a call on his cell phone or radio. Within minutes a tow truck pulled into the lot.

The 'spotter' could be seen video recording the tow truck moving a vehicle out of the lot.

When he approached the 'spotter' to ask why he was having the vehicle towed, the man replied ' no comment.'

Huddy witnessed as two tow companies- Danny's Towing and EZ Towing- removed cars and trucks from the lot even when it was wide open.

A man who said he had parked in the lot and was headed to the affiliated BJs store told Fox 5 News his car was towed in a matter of minutes.

"$152.10 just for towing my car? Cash?" said Jean Marie Alezandre. The man said he was paying a bill at a different location but was headed back to BJs to do some shopping as he regularly does when his vehicle was towed.

FOX 5 News also spoke with a man who said his car was towed after going into one of the Metro Plaza stores, and then briefly going to a neighboring business.

By law, private property owners are allowed to have vehicles towed. But 'predatory towing' is illegal in the Garden State.

Tow companies engaging in 'predatory behavior' make thousands of dollars from holding the car until the owner pays up.

According to the New Jersey Predatory Towing Prevention Act:

•it is illegal to charge an unreasonable towing fee
•the towing company must allow people to pay by credit card
•signs must be 36 inches wide by 36 inches tall and clearly marked
•it is illegal to tow a vehicle 'without having been specifically requested to tow such vehicle by the owner of the property
The company G&S Investors owns the Metro Plaza lot in Jersey City. A representative for the company wrote Fox 5 News in an email that no car is towed unless the driver leaves the lot... and that a towing service is necessary to "protect the safety and convenience of the customers of the Metro Plaza merchants."

The questionable towing procedures are not limited to Jersey City.

An undercover investigation was launched by the Union Township Police following numerous complaints from business owners of the P.P.M. Towing company, according to Sgt. Robert Christie.

The NJ Division of Consumer Affairs confirmed there are complaints against PPM Towing, Danny's Towing and EZ Towing.

A representative for Danny's Towing and the owner of EZ Towing told Fox 5 News that they were just doing their jobs.

PPM Towing did not return calls to Fox 5 News.

Store representatives for several businesses at Metro Plaza told Fox 5 News they had received numerous complaints from shoppers about improper towing.

Anyone who feels they may have been a victim of 'predatory towing' should contact local police and the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs.

6 comments:

  1. I got towed once by Dannys towing and did not have any money to get my car back. Here I was in the parking lot with my 18 month old baby with no money and car. Danny said he would release car to me if I agreed to help him out!
    He drove me and my son back to 8th shop and said I have to blow him and then he release it.
    I wish I could say that I said no, and called him some 4 letter words but I can't!
    I had no choice, I did it, in his office while my son slept in the stroller. He even said to me that I was better than most and that I could come back anytime and make a deal if I get towed!
    Thanks, Danny's towing, see you in hell, you pig!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this happened to me i cant believe this i went to bj's and did some shoping and then went to chilies not even 30 mins and my car was towed. I just came home and wondered if this happened to anyone else and sure enough many many of the same stories why isnt there an investigation on this? I was a victim of predatory towing by EZ towing. How can i get my money back? If anyone knows what i can do or something please email me at xthebest23x@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, You should file rape charges against the person who coerced you into having sex! Sex offenders do not have a very good time in jail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever you see a spotter call the cops and tell them you smelled marijuana and give them a description and plate of the spotter's car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make sure you demand a receipt for cash payments. If they refuse call the cops and inform the IRS about their illegal practices. If you see a spotter call the cops and tell them there is a shady looking character using drugs, smoking pot or taking pictures of little kids. Works wonders! Once the spotter had warrants and was hauled away in handcuffs! Made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever I see a spotter I call the police and tell them there is a shady looking character using drugs, smoking pot or taking pictures of little kids! Works wonders. Once the spotter had warrants and I had the pleasure of seeing the low life hauled away in handcuffs. Works wonders!
    California Lemon Law

    ReplyDelete