POSTVILLE, Iowa - Fire has damaged part of a kosher meat processing plant in the northeast corner of Iowa.
The Postville Fire Department says the fire was reported shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday in the lower-level laundry room of the plant.
Arriving firefighters found thick black smoke coming from the lower level of the 350,000 square-foot Agri-Star Meat & Poultry plant, leading officials to call in help from five other nearby departments.
Postville Fire Chief Jeffrey Bohr says firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to the plant's second and third levels, where manufacturing materials like cardboard, plastic foam trays and chemicals are stored.
Bohr says the fire started in an unattended clothes dryer and has been ruled accidental.
No one was injured in the fire, and no damage estimates were available Saturday morning.