Search This Blog

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Officers swarm rugged Utah canyon, hunting shooter

Law officers hunting a gunman accused of critically wounding a Utah Park ranger tracked the man's footprints in a canyon along the Colorado River, recovering his rifle and backpack, authorities said.

Dozens of officers joined in the manhunt Saturday in the rugged roadless region cut by ravines and cliffs, about 22 miles southwest of Moab, Grand County Sheriff James Nyland said.

They picked up his footprints and found his rifle, backpack and a tattered, bloody T-shirt that the suspect may have used to stanch a heavily bleeding wound, the sheriff said.

"We're going to put the blood hounds on that and see what they turn up," Nyland told the Salt Lake Tribune.

After nightfall, the numbers of searchers was scaled back to a core group of about 20officers, who took up strategic positions around the canyon through the night.

"We ran out of daylight," Nyland told reporters.

He said the full-scale manhunt would resume Sunday morning.

"We are treating this suspect as armed and dangerous," Nyland told the Tribune, adding that he may have the .40-caliber handgun still on him.

The search near Dead Horse State Park began after Utah State Parks Ranger Brody Young, 34, of Moab, was shot three times Friday night while patrolling the Poison Spider Mesa Trail, one of Utah's most popular biking routes.

Young stopped a vehicle at the trailhead, and gunfire was exchanged between him and the driver, said parks spokeswoman Deena Loyola. It wasn't immediately clear what sparked the violence, and Nyland said authorities have not yet been able to interview Young.

"The park ranger was able to call in on the radio and advised that he was shot," the sheriff's office said in a statement on its website.

Young was in critical but stable condition at a Grand Junction, Colo., hospital, Loyola said. Nyland told The Associated Press that the ranger had been shot in the arm, leg and the stomach area, and he underwent surgery at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction. The hospital declined to comment.

Authorities are focusing on the canyon because the suspect's silver Pontiac Grand Am was found nearby, about eight miles southwest of the shooting site. They're not sure whether the suspect was alone. The car's registered owner was from the Salt Lake City area.

"It's where the Colorado River goes into the canyon, so there are steep cliffs on both sides and other than walking up the river, he doesn't have anywhere else to go," Nyland told the Deseret News on Saturday, adding that authorities have contained the entire area.

Family members describe Young as a friendly, outgoing ranger who has faced tense work situations but never alone. They said they were stunned by the shooting.

"He's just not abrupt," Micheline Young, his stepmother, told the Deseret News. "He would never irritate someone to this point ... He's a wonderful guy, so upbeat and social. He's friendly to everyone."

He and his wife, Wendy, have three children. The couple are outdoor enthusiasts who once worked as river guides in the Moab area.

Loyola said Young, who has been a ranger for more than four years, was speaking to medics and at the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment