Search This Blog

Monday, November 11, 2013

Rabbi Returns $98K He Found In Desk He Bought On Craigslist


Imagine buying a desk under $200 on Craigslist only to find thousands of dollars hidden inside.

That’s exactly what happened New Haven Rabbi Noach Muroff and his wife. They found a huge pile of cash after buying a desk.

When the couple brought the desk home it wouldn’t fit through the door. “The desk did not fit into this office by fraction of an inch,” Muroff said.

The couple had to pull the desk apart, including the file cabinets. Behind the drawers they discovered a plastic bag filled with cash.

“Behind the drawers there is this plastic bag, like a shopping,” he said. “In the bag, I could already see through the bag, it looks like a one hundred dollar bill.

“We open it up and it’s full of cash. And we counted up and there’s $98,000 cash sitting in the bag.”

The couple couldn’t believes their eyes.

“Right away my wife and I sort of looked at each other and said we can’t keep this money.”

They picked up the phone and called the original owner. They recorded the call on cellphone video.

“I saw there was a bag back there and through the bag I saw one 100 dollar bill and I’, like, Oh my gosh there’s money in there’. And i picked it up and this is pretty heavy. And I brought it over to the table and sort of counted it up and was like ‘oh my gosh’.”

The original owner was speechless. “Oh my gosh, because I… oh my God,” she said.

The former owner had stuffed her inheritance in the desk and forgot where she put the money.

The Good Samaritans returned the cash to the rightful owner. The Rabbi Muroff said the most important thing in life is to be honest.


No comments:

Post a Comment