Search This Blog

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Russian cops bust Brooklyn ‘killer’ Nikolai Rakossi

                                              Larisa Prikhodko, 28

Nikolai Rakossi, 60, is wanted in the U.S. for the brutal stabbings of his wife Tatyana Prikhodko, 56, and her daughter Larisa, 28, in their Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn home.

The former Soviet paratrooper flew back to Moscow on a one-way ticket on April 17 before the women's bodies were discovered.

Police said Rakossi has been detained in Novomoskovsk, about 140 miles south of Moscow, and charged with double murder.

He denied the accusation and is being held in custody because authorities consider him a flight risk, according to New York Post.

'The court has taken into attention that Rakossi is accused of a grave crime which can result in him being jailed for 20 years, or for life, and concluded that there is every reason to believe that the charged person might try and escape investigation,' court spokeswoman Olga Dyachuk said.

'The court therefore satisfied the investigator’s petition and Rakossi will spend two months in Tula detention center number 1.'

After reaching Moscow, Rakossi vanished, with sources saying relatives helped hide him for more than two years.

The case is now under the supervision of the Russian Investigation Committee, equivalent of the FBI.

While Russian laws forbid the country’s citizens being extradited, New York Post reported he will face trial in his homeland based on evidence supplied by the U.S.

Andrei Yartsev, chief spokesman of Tula police, said: 'The results of the American side’s investigation were passed to the Russian General Prosecutor’s office so that the person can be charged with a criminal offense.'

In March last year, Prikhodko's other daughter Svetlana Prikhodko, now 33, spoke exclusively to MailOnline.

She believed Rakossi was being hidden by family and friends in Russia, in the grim industrial city of Novomoskovsk where he owns an apartment and where one neighbor claimed to have seen him since the double killing.

'I have no doubt it was him, none at all,' said the neighbor, asking to remain anonymous for her own safety. 'He looked worried and tense.'

Svetlana told New York Post she and her family believe Rakossi led a sinister double life in New York, and he killed his wife and stepdaughter because they found out about it.

'The facts point to something far darker and more sinister than anyone could have imagined,' she said.
'The quiet subdued Rakossi was living a double life ever since the moment he landed in the U.S.

'Arriving on a tourist visa, he charmed Tatyana and soon asked her to marry him and became part of the family.'

The family said they did not have 'a clear picture of what Rakossi was doing during these 11 years. He never held a regular job and claimed that he did construction work on the side.'

Svetlana said she suspected his annual trips to Russia where he kept an apartment and car.

It was claimed that on the day of the murders, Rakossi was repeatedly on the phone to Russia, both before and after the killings.

'Rakossi made almost 20 phone calls to Russia, starting at 5.30am, though typically he seldom called anyone,' a source told MailOnline.

'The calls were only briefly interrupted at 2.40pm for ten minutes when he committed the first murder. He then resumed calling until 3.40pm when Larisa walked in, resulting in, another ten minute interruption in the calls.'

New York Post reported Rakossi had called his sister Lydia, 62, who lives in Novomoskovsk, soon after the killings.

'He was in tears. He told me: ‘Please don’t keep any offence in your heart about me. Forgive me. You will never see me again',' she said. 'Then he ended the call.'

Lydia said she didn't hide her brother in Russia.

The killings were carried out clinically, without a single scream to alert neighbors in the block.

'Who was this Rakossi that he allegedly knew how to handle a knife so expertly and kill an adult without even a cry from the victim?' a neighbor said.

'And what animal must he be to murder a young mother as she opened the door to her mother's apartment an hour later? What possible monstrous force and deed could have caused such an act of violence?

'No one deserves the horrible end that Larisa and Tatyana met.'

No comments:

Post a Comment