Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Medicaid 'con,' kin attacked


A Brooklyn executive indicted for allegedly running a massive Medicaid kickback scheme was held at gunpoint with his family in their tony Mill Basin house by two thugs brandishing automatic weapons in a terrifying home-invasion robbery, police said.

"Who wants to die first?" one of the bandits snarled after forcing medical-services provider Alexander Bromberg, his wife, Vera, and daughter Yani, 20, to lie on their kitchen floor.

The assailants had waited in the bushes for Alexander to step outside for a smoke Tuesday night -- then dragged him inside.



"We were taken off guard. I heard my mother yelling my name and I turned and I was looking at a gun," Yani said.

"They hit my mother in the head with the gun. My parents don't speak English, so the men grabbed me to translate," she said.

Her parents were born in Russia.

One of the bandits forced the young woman to help him find a stash of cash and jewelry in her parents' bedroom as he taunted: "I wonder if I should kill you now . . . Are you ready to die?

"He said, 'Stand in the corner.' I put my face to the wall thinking I was going to die," she recalled.

Federal prosecutors charge that for six years, Alexander Bromberg, co-founder of Professional Medical Plaza in Coney Island, collected kickbacks from ambulette companies and scammed more than $1 million by sending Medicaid bills for services it never provided.

He is out on $1 million bail awaiting trial.

Two suspects in the home invasion, William Soler, 29, and Sami Waters, 48, were arrested making their getaway, cops said.

Soler had $45,000 worth of gems, and Waters had $2,000 cash, a source said, adding they're suspects in another home invasion, in which the intruders flashed fake police badges at the victim, a 90-year-old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment