Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

12 more join sex abuse lawsuit against Yeshiva University

Another dozen former students of Yeshiva University’s prestigious all-boys high school are joining a lawsuit alleging that administrators there covered up decades of sexual and physical abuse.

Kevin Mulhearn, a lawyer for 19 ex-students at Marsha Stern Talmudical Academy in Manhattan, told a judge in Manhattan federal court today that he plans to update the scathing $380 million lawsuit filed last month to include at least another 12 victims.

The suit alleges the university willfully turned a blind eye while two of its rabbis sexually assaulted then-teenage boys there between 1969 and 1989. Mulhearn said he’d file a revised complaint with the new allegations by August 13.

Karen Bitar, a Yeshiva lawyer, told Judge John Koeltl that the university would file papers seeking he dismiss the case before it goes to trial, adding “it is a very old case” based on allegations of actions that happened decades ago.

Meanwhile, a lawyer for six other ex-students has said his clients are poised to file a similar suit after failing to reach a settlement with Yeshiva officials.

No comments:

Post a Comment