Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Shyne Determined To 'Rep' Orthodox Jewish Faith

The rapper Shyne at the Western Wall in Jerusalem. “My entire life screams that I have a Jewish neshama,” he said, using the Hebrew word for soul.

The Shyne we see today is a far cry from the troubled rap youth that we saw in 2000 walking in and out of court, donning a suit and oversize baseball cap. During his almost-nine-year prison stint for assault and gun possession, Shyne became closer to his Jewish faith. Now we see him with long side curls and traditional Orthodox garb, bearing the Star of David. It's nothing new, Shyne says.

"This ain't no 'Shyne got out and went to Jerusalem and became religious.' God and man is a never-ending struggle. We're in the struggle to do what's right," Shyne told MTV News of his faith. "I've been on this journey."

The rapper is less concerned about the latest trends in rap than he is about working on strengthening his relationship with God. "This is how King David wore his hair," Shyne said of his payos. "That's who I want to be. I don't really want to be like anybody else. I don't want to be like one of these big fools. I don't want to be like none of these guys on TV. I don't want to be like — definitely none of these rappers.

"I want to be like King David so that's how I wear my hair. I rep this tribe of Judah till the very end and that's what it's hitting for," he said, tugging on his robe.

Shyne continues to release new music. On January 13, he dropped an elongated version of Lil Wayne's Tha Carter IV "Outro" and on Tuesday revealed that he and Diddy have made amends. Can a musical collaboration be next?

"As far as Puff is concerned, that's been a long time coming," Shyne exclusively told MTV News of the conversation he and the Bad Boy CEO had earlier this month. "He had reached out to me twice while I was in the pen, but I just wasn't ready for it."

The rapper wouldn't speak on the details of his and Comb's conversation, but he did say that the two plan to meet face to face in Paris in the coming weeks.

Get More: Music News

No comments:

Post a Comment