Tuesday, November 1, 2011
New Square - Six children, two adults sent to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning
An infant, several children and two adults suffered carbon monoxide poisoning Monday while using propane heaters and burning charcoal inside a home, authorities said.
The weekend nor'easter knocked out power to a three-story residence at 17 Washington Ave., said Lt. Adrian Fedorowsky of Rockland Paramedic Services. The house appeared to have multiple apartments but it was unclear who lived there, Fedorowsky said.
A father — who did not live at the home — arrived shortly before 3 p.m. Monday to find his two children crying and vomiting, Fedorowsky said.
The man called 911 and when emergency services arrived they detected high levels of carbon monoxide inside the home.
Spring Valley Fire Department evacuated several people complaining of nausea, headaches and dizziness from the home.
Six children, ages seven months to nine years, and two adults were taken to Good Samaritan and Nyack hospitals for treatment. All were in stable condition Monday night.
Propane heaters and burning charcoal on a barbecue grill were being used for heat or to cook food, Fedorowsky said.
"Thankfully nobody was in critical condition," Fedorowsky said. "We did find extremely dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in the house. If that were to continue, anyone there potentially could have died."
Spring Hill EMS and Spring Valley police also responded to the scene.
Police contacted the landlord and deemed the building unsafe, Spring Valley police Sgt. Peter Russell said. An investigation is ongoing.