Thursday, March 10, 2011
Lindsay Lohan rejects plea deal in stolen jewelry case
LOS ANGELES -- Lindsay Lohan on Wednesday rejected a plea deal that would have seen her serve at least 60 days in jail in relation to the theft of a necklace, RadarOnline reported.
Lohan has been charged with one count of felony grand theft in the case of the missing necklace.
The $2,500 gold necklace was allegedly taken by Lohan during a January visit to a Los Angeles jewelry store.
A source told the entertainment website that the Los Angeles District Attorney and Judge Keith Schwartz had offered the 24-year-old starlet a deal that would have seen her serve some jail time.
"The judge said he would sentence her to a minimum of 60 days, but likely not longer than 90 days," the source said.
Lohan would likely only serve about 21 days because of overcrowding in the prison system, the source added.
The "Mean Girls" star had until Thursday to respond to the deal, but now seems likely to take her chances with a trial. She is due back in court Thursday.
Lohan said surveillance video of her Jan. 22 visit to the boutique proves her innocence.
Earlier this week, Kamofie & Co. sold the surveillance footage of Lohan to "Entertainment Tonight" for $40,000, according to the celebrity website.
The jeweler announced earlier Wednesday that it will auction the necklace for charity, but it will not be sold until the case against Lohan is resolved.